With corruption in India showing no signs of abating, companies eager to do business in India have found it challenging to stay clear of violations of the American anti-bribery law, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). This course will provide, in a simple, concise, and comprehensive manner, a fundamental understanding of what is prohibited under the FCPA, how those prohibitions are enforced, and what needs to be done to comply with the FCPA.
What you will learn?
- Learn what the FCPA is. Understand its purpose.
- Understand how this American law applies to Indian companies and companies doing business in India.
- Learn what is prohibited under the FCPA.
- Learn the penalties for committing any of the acts prohibited under the FCPA.
- Learn the defences available under the FCPA.
- Learn the books and records provisions in the FCPA and understand how to comply with them.
What do you need?
- This course is recommended for anyone working in any multi-national organisation of any size, especially professionals in senior-management, legal, and compliance teams, and anyone keen to get a better understanding of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Other than that, a standard Internet/data connection along with a computer/laptop/smartphone/tablet is enough to get you started!
Exam and certification
This course does not have an exam or certification.
Each myLaw Course is designed and created by our in house faculty team in consultation with industry experts, including experienced litigators and corporate lawyers, and accomplished legal academics. myLaw continues to work closely with such experts to ensure that this Course imparts the practical skills and legal knowledge required for this area of law.
1. Introduction to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act of 1977
2. Understanding the Anti-Bribery Provisions – Prohibition under the Act
3. Understanding the Anti-Bribery Provisions – Defences and Penalties
4. Record Keeping and Accounting Provisions – Requirements and Penalties
A Lawyer's Role in Chambers